terça-feira, 8 de dezembro de 2020

Version 2.218

Since the beginning of March, I have driven less than 3200 miles (5150 Km). Today, I drove a bit because I had some errands to run: buy some cookies for my neighbor, return some broken items to the hardware store, and go to the ATM. During my short little periple, I heard the 6PM news, where we were warned to not hug each other, not even with a mask. I can't imagine why anyone would be doing that, but since so many people still think that the virus is a hoax, it is not surprising.


A few months after the start of the pandemic, I saw some articles in the paper that were trying to put things into perspective: they asked us to imagine that 150 or 200 deaths a day was the equivalent of an airplane falling daily. If that were to happen, would we not be shocked? Yes, but that's because an airplane falling is a shocking thing; it's so rare in the last few years. But now, hardly any airplanes fly anymore and the number of deaths that used to be shocking are just a matter of fact from which we have stripped all emotion.


My neighbor who is a traveling crisis nurse is on assigment again, this time in Louisiana. She did not text me to let me know, but I need to text her to give her moral support. I have always wondered what it would be like to live through a war in our own soil. I guess this is pretty close.

Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário

Não são permitidos comentários anónimos.