terça-feira, 21 de julho de 2020

Version 2.078

Today, I finished watching "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society" for the second time. I had seen it before, but had completely forgotten about it, so much so that upon reading the synopsis, I still had no idea. It felt like I had never seen it and, yet, I knew that I had. Anyway, I refreshed my memory and it felt like it was a very adequate film for our current travails.

There is a scene in which the main character is at a party after the war is over and she feels disoriented, given the stark contrast between life during war and life after war. When the pandemic started, I spoke to someone who was telling me that he did not know how we would rebound. I replied that we are wired to overcome adversity; if we weren't we would not have made it as a species, case in point childbirth.

The way things are progressing is a lot more dire than I had hoped. When the weather changes and winter bugs are out in full force, many of us will be fighting for our lives. I just don't see how we can avoid it. Even with the vaccine, there will be those who will refuse to take and it certainly will not be effective for all. I always had my vaccines on time and I ended up getting several of the diseases covered: measles, chickenpox, rubella. The one thing I don't usually get is the flu, but I am a bit obsessive-compulsive about not touching door handles and other things many people touch.

But we still have months to go, which reminds me that I need to read Robert Frost...

Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário

Não são permitidos comentários anónimos.