segunda-feira, 7 de dezembro de 2015

The Remains of the Day

I loved today. After having brunch at Empire Café, I went to the Menil, the Museum of Modern Art. I find that staring at a few Magrittes, Yves Tanguys, and Max Ernsts, not to mention Man Rays, always puts me in a great mood.

I stood in front of Magritte's "The Telescope" ("La Lunette d'approche") and I had a Rothko moment. I finally understood what it meant to me: it is up to me whether I live in a blue sky or in total darkness. My attitude towards others, my kindness, the way I look at the world, all of that is indoors; it is within the place I inhabit. Whether that place is bright, full of light, even in spite of some clouds, or a total darkness, a step away from the abyss, is completely my choice. The Telescope represents our own perspective.


René Magritte, "La Lunette d'approche", 1963

But the icing on the cake was an exhibit they had of impressions that spanned the 1860s until current times ("Apparitions: Frottages and Rubbings from 1860 to Now"). You know impressions: put a piece of paper over something and then rub the paper with a crayon or chalk and you've got an impression, your own piece of art. It reminded me of the things I used to do as a kid.

There was this one particular wall that was stunning, it gave me such a rush of happiness whenever I looked at it. So many possibilities: someone had made an eye using the impression of the trunk of a tree, there were people, animals, nature... I managed to take a partial picture of it, even though you're not allowed to take pictures in the Menil. What can I say? The camera on my phone turns itself on at the most inappropriate times. I would spank it, but I'm against violence.

While I was in there, I got a call from some friends, so we scheduled a trip to a French pastry shop after lunch. It was a glorious day, the sky was the most amazing shade of blue. In the parking lot of the pastry shop, one of my friends pointed up and noticed the lack of symmetry in the profile of a building against the sky. It was a great reminder: always remember to look up!


Another smuggled picture: some wood carvings from Papua, New Guinea, on the wall


Even the floor at the Menil is gorgeous...

Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário

Não são permitidos comentários anónimos.